Love has inspired many of the internationally celebrated artists and writers today to compose the most beautiful lines ever written. Many of these literary pieces explore the different forms of love, including true love. This article gives you fifteen of the most touching representations of true love in the form of lines, words, and phrases that inspired their readers to dream, believe, and experience this exquisite and rare human emotion.
Here are 15 of the most beautiful quotes about true love:
Quotes about True Love
1. True love is being with that special soul who’ll make you feel loved, and at the same time, free. Free to be your own self. The version of you that you keep from the world. Because you know that with them, you are loved, accepted, and protected.
“Love consists of this: two solitudes that meet, protect and greet each other.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
2. True love is loving another person with all you have. This feeling alone and how you shared it with someone can make you feel alive. It will make you feel that you’ve lived your life the most beautiful and most courageous way possible: you loved deeply, sincerely, bravely.
“I am nothing special…there are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who’s ever lived: I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.” -The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
3. True love is that feeling of connection and being connected with another soul. It’s feeling as if you two are one: breathing the same air, feeling the same pain, sharing the same happiness. It’s that oneness, a link that cannot be broken no matter what. This bond makes a relationship built on true love more superior than any relationship.
“Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear.” – Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
4. True love does not have any room for doubts. It’s when you completely trust someone because you know that you’re with the right person. It’s the feeling of trust that you can be vulnerable with them. Most importantly, it’s the feeling of making them a part of your life, a reason to keep going.
“I’ve never had a moment’s doubt. I love you. I believe in you completely. You are my dearest one. My reason for life.” – Atonement by Ian McEwan
5. True love is about taking risks and having the courage to believe that it exists. It’s about being brave enough to try, to give it a chance, because you know that it’s worth it.
“‘Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Tennyson
6. True love is the greatest kind of love there is. It’s the most beautiful force in the world and the most absolute truth. In the presence of true love, nothing else matters. Just you and that person, and the life that’s waiting for both of you.
“Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star.” – e.e. Cummings
7. True love does not only mean loving the person because of their best qualities. It’s also about acknowledging that they are flawed and imperfect, and still loving them despite the flaws and imperfections. It’s about accepting the person for what make them human. It is also about helping them grow and do better.
“You don’t love because: you love despite; not for the virtues, but despite the faults.” – William Faulkner
8. True love feels divine. It’s one of the purest and most powerful forces that will remind you that something so magnificent exists in this world. It reminds you that there should be a God so powerful to have created this exquisite thing called love.
“To love another person is to see the face of God.” – Lawrence Durrell
9. True love is something undefinable, something that cannot be explained in a single sentence. The truth of true love cannot easily be understood and it’s okay. It does not seek to be understood. It just wants to be felt. The same truth will help you navigate through life and inspire you to keep going.
“I believe in the compelling power of love. I do not understand it. I believe it to be the most fragrant blossom of all this thorny existence.” – Theodore Dreiser
10. Timing is everything when you talk about true love. Like how you don’t rush perfection, you shouldn’t be in a hurry to find or to feel it. It will come. All the good things, including the promise of true love, will come to you in time.
“If it is right, it happens—the main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away.” – John Steinbeck
11. True love does not have a beginning nor an ending. It does not have a definite form. Rather, it constantly evolves and shapes itself depending on the vessel they are in. Love can be anything and everything. It can grow and expand according to how you nurture it.
“Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.” – James Baldwin
12. True love, in all its forms, can come as something mundane. It doesn’t have to be extraordinary to make its presence matter. Sometimes, it can be expressed in the form of simple gestures or everyday greetings. What amplifies its effect and the beauty that comes with it is the connection that it creates between two loving souls.
“You are sunlight through a window, which I stand in, warmed. My darling.” – The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
13. True love makes you realize why it didn’t work out with everyone else. It helps you see that your past, especially your past relationships. They may be a part of you but they should not discourage you from believing in true love. It exists and when it finally comes to your life, everything, the hurt, the doubts, will become distant memories.
“You might not have been my first love, but you were the love that made all the other loves irrelevant” – milk and honey by Rupi Kaur
14. True love lasts a lifetime. It’s about choosing to be with that person every single day. It’s about deciding to be with them instead of making decisions that forces you to be without them. Most importantly, it’s about going through life with a promise that you will never be alone again.
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” – A. A. Milne
15. True love does not only apply to romantic relationships. True love can also be about self-love. It can be about loving yourself so genuinely and courageously that you won’t rely on other people for happiness. Love yourself enough that when the right person comes along, you’re complete and you’re ready to share this love with them.
“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” – Oscar Wilde
Hopefully, these words will remind you that true love does exist. These lines can show you how others have experienced the beauty of this rare feeling, and how it changed the way they looked at the world.